Not A Morel, Not A Golden Oyster…Possibly Not A Munchable Mushroom
During my morning paddle on the Wapsipinicon River early today I noticed this richly-colored fungus apparently thriving on a log extending into the water. Water levels and current have dropped low enough that I was able to safely drift to the former tree and hold on with one hand while shooting the picture with my other hand.
Recently I have enjoyed finding and eating wild mushrooms. Since I am not familiar with this fungi species, the mushroom remains on the log and I remain healthy. (This may or may not be toxic, but I don’t want to find out.)
(Notice the fine strands of spider web silk. Isn’t the resolution on cameras these days amazing!)